It might seem a long way off but you’ll need to think about a primary school place for September 2018 if your child has their 4th birthday between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on 15 January 2018. Any application received after this time will be treated as late and processed in May 2018 and onwards.
To help make your decision you can:
- Use the council’s Northamptonshire schools directory
- Speak to friends, family or neighbours with school children to obtain feedback on your local schools (and their teachers) from the horses mouth
- Visit the school’s website for a prospectus and other helpful information
- Check for open days at prospective schools to help get a feel for each place
- Take your child to the schools, let them have their say and value their opinion
- Speak to us at Little Houghton Day Nursery. We have strong links with all schools in the area and will invite the reception teacher to meet your child during the term before they start school.
So what exactly are you looking for in a primary school? Contributing factors may include:
- Performance: Ofsted ratings, league tables and other achievements.
- Location: Close proximity to your home or work.
- Facilities: Good outside space, after school and holiday clubs, free transport.
- Staff: Plenty of staff for the size of the school, low staff turnover, SEN support.
- Reputation: Word of mouth can be just as persuading as league tables.
- Familiarity: Your family and friends already attend or work at a school.
School places in the Northamptonshire area can be very sought after, and places are offered using a prioritised criteria format. Don’t make the mistake of assuming you will automatically be allocated a place (for example, because an older sibling attends). No place is guaranteed; if you don’t list additional choices you risk having no say at all.
To minimise errors and delays, it is strongly recommended that you allow plenty of time and read the following information before completing an application:
Applying for a primary school place in Northamptonshire
This website also has the procedure for applying, including what to do if you prefer paper application forms to online.
Places are offered in mid April to those who applied on time. You will be contacted once a decision has been made on your child’s school – there is no need to contact the council or the schools directly.